Sunday Times Books LIVE Community Sign up

Login to Sunday Times Books LIVE

Forgotten password?

Forgotten your password?

Enter your username or email address and we'll send you reset instructions

Sunday Times Books LIVE

Hamilton Wende

@ Sunday Times Books LIVE

New Bond

Just finished ‘Devil May Care’ the new ‘Bond’ book written by Sebastian Faulks. It’s fantastic – Faulks is way way better than Ian Fleming. It captures the Fleming tone and surprisingly thoughtful psychological insights exceptionally well but you are conscious always of a delightful sense of irony in Faulks’ version. It’s witty, literary and a cracking good read.

Recent comments:

Ben - Editor
    November 11th, 2008 @11:38 #

Hamilton's shortie makes me wonder what opinion Mike Nicol holds of the Bond books. Mike - thrillers? krimis? Would you be comfy with Payback and Devil May Care cohabiting on the same shelf?

Bottom
  • <a href="http://crimebeat.book.co.za/" rel="nofollow">Mike Nicol</a>
    Mike Nicol
    November 11th, 2008 @12:50 #

As you know, Ben, I'm more of a krimi-head than a thriller-nut. So the Bond books are thrillers to me and Devil May Care may fall into the same category. Haven't read it yet so can't say. The more tolerant editor (Barbara) is going to be casting her judgement. However, as state crime becomes more of an issue for crime novelists one find oneself venturing into thriller territory (what used to be the spy vs spy zone) so in this way alone the gap is closing. And then when you start having security guards as your protagonists (see Deon Meyer's Blood Safari) where are you then because, yes, I could argue it into the crime genre but it's also a thriller. Personally I'm going to retreat behind 'krimi' and let it be the hold-all for that class of novels which is about reading because you can't bloody well stop because the book's a page-turner. Still I love the genre nit-picking. Must admit that when i saw the tag 'New Bond' I thought it was probably about the Age of Bond. There is of course another way that phrase can be arranged. But I'll leave that for the pervs.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://margieorford.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Margie</a>
    Margie
    November 11th, 2008 @13:55 #

What is a krimi? it sounds so peculiar. Like a shimmy, or a jimmy. or a Primi - those mafia restaurants in Cape Town that teenagers go to.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://fionasnyckers.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Fiona</a>
    Fiona
    November 11th, 2008 @14:09 #

It's a German word for a book, movie or TV show with a crime theme.

Bottom
  • <a href="http://hamiltonwende.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Hamilton</a>
    Hamilton
    November 12th, 2008 @08:03 #

Interesting, I see Google has started advertising 'bond rates' on this page, so I guess everyone is confused about the 'New Bond'. Anyway I'm about to start the new John Le Carre A Most Wanted Man, along with Aeschylus' The Persians, so Im in for an eclectic week!

Bottom
  • <a href="http://richarddenooy.book.co.za" rel="nofollow">Richard de Nooy</a>
    Richard de Nooy
    November 12th, 2008 @10:05 #

Eclectic indeed. Mind you don't get the reviews mixed up.

Bottom

Please register or log in to comment

» View comments as a forum thread and add tags in BOOK Chat